Friday, November 22, 2013

Why can’t a woman be more like a man?


Woman is crazy, always digging out de cobwebs, cleaning, cleaning. She get up soon o’ clock and don’t stop dis sweeping and wiping down ‘til de noon-day sun get too hot.

Now Man, he is a clever creature.

He do a massive clean-up of the Lepentir cemetary one time. Lepentir is Guyanese for the French word, Le Repentir, which is French for the English word, Repentance.

My beautiful Irish auntie say, “The trouble is, those cleaners don’t realise that weed grows again, and you have to keep cleaning.”

You see? We women believe in cleaning like we conscience is working overtime.

Man, on the other hand, does enjoy the power and the glory of he one good deed forever and ever.

Soon after the Big Waves from de sea nearly kill all of we with fright, the Carer of The Canals, a Man of course, run around dredging up them canals east and west.

The heavy rain come. Ohhh, the water gurgle and flow-oh, gurgle like a song, pour and run merry-merry.

And The Carer of The Canals rest on he laurels.

Time pass.

The laurels grow like the antelope grass in the canals. The canals, not cleared since that last time, get clogged up again.

This morning, long before the sun even turn over in he bed, the rain, she start one heavy hollering. The next thing I know, she is flooding-up roadway and driveway.  I swear I see laurels leaves floating by out there.

And me, I have this urge to go and sweep them up.


13 comments:

whattheworldtaughtme.com said...

What a clever parable- and an excellent way to highlight the value of men and women being different!

I love your writing! You always know just how to make me smile for the rest of my day!

John Greenwood said...

You sweep them up! They wont come back if you give them a good talking to! :-) xxx

Wafa said...

Beautiful and well-said :)

Guyana-Gyal said...

Wafa, thank you! I think the men here would grumble though.

JohnG, garumph, grumph, mumfft, you see, that's what I'm talking about, you man you, telling me to go sweep :-D

World, thank you! I'm pleased you see the humour. I think you can see what I'm saying, you've lived in so many countries.

Elephant's Child said...

A woman's work is never done - but man got to rest on the seventh day...

dinahmow said...

Monsoon time here, too.!am I was closing back door and windows, grateful for the rain and relieved it was not too heavy. But now? Storms forecast so I have to check that no-good-neighbour drain...
As Jimmy said "Plen'y got worse t'ings a grumble 'bout"

Vest said...

A very amusing post.
However, women like silent men best of all,
They think they are listening.

Sushie said...

Once again you hit the nail on the head!

Guyana-Gyal said...

Dinah, I hope you get the right amount of rain, the right amount of sunshine. I wish the same for me too, haha.

Elephant's Child, in some communities, the men rest almost every day :-o

Guyana-Gyal said...

Sushie, how I wish the men here would do what they need to do to make this place better. Maybe we need more women in public office here.

Pat said...

I think a gift we women share is the blessed ability to think ahead.
No disrespect:)

Guyana-Gyal said...

Pat, there's the story of my mother warning my father not to park the truck near the house or thieves...guess what happened.
There are soooOOoooOo many stories of her telling him, and him ignoring her, hahaha.

cadiz12 said...

so true. and it's all we can do to keep ourselves for saying "told you so."