Tuesday, April 14, 2009

SPLASH!

Here, in the land of many waters, splashaaay is the sound o’ young chil’ren playing in ice-cold crik...creek. Water is the colour of liquid-wood, brown-orange from all them tree leaves falling in, blending in, year after year.

Splash is the sound of holiday-teens bathing in a Kato Mountain pool that a li’l waterfall does fill, a pool that look like a piece o’ sky on green earth. Not yet twilight, sun is mellow-yellow, got to bathe before it get too late, before them dot-size cobowra-flies swoop and bite, and leave red marks on pale-brown skin for weeks. Splashaaay before dinner, before we light gas lamp, play board games, before bedtime.

Splash...sploonk...wood paddles hit water as Cousin Nan, friends and me wend we way down Lake Capoie in a canoe, not a hard-plastic or aluminium imported canoe, but one that Amerindians carve from tree trunk with wood planks for seat.

Splash. For somebody who ain’t know to swim, I sure love to be in and around water...some part o’ me must be a mermaid, or as we does say, water-mooma.

Splash Award from both Ieishah and Profacero remind me of all them splashy-places I been.

Thank you Ieishah and Profacero for this:













The Splash award is given to alluring, amusing, bewitching, impressive, and inspiring blogs.


Splash is so cool, I want to Splash some bloggers too:

Cadiz – for being proud, creative American desi, because it is so easy to lose that part o’ weself in another land, thanks to cultural cringe and alienation.

Dan – for bizarre humour like this and this and more...

Daphne – for such style...and for writing so droll I does envy!

GrannyP – speaking of envy, oh man, that laid-back writing style, make me think of being in Gerald Durrell crazy li’l round boat in Corfu. And the way she write about sorrow, grief...

John G – for staying cheerful despite that wicked tree, I ain’t know how he do it. I know plenty people here who does whinge every day yet they have everything.

Pat – another lady with style and class and...ohhh...so full o’ zing for living...and she tell the best love story ever.

Sablonneuse – for sharing the ups and downs of getting older...something that media people tend to ignore, pretend it don’t happen, as if only youth and celebrities matter.

Will – island life ain’t never been this funny…and the boy can write, and there is lotsa things...literature things, teaching things...

Zoe – for sharing pain and laughs about family life, tormenting teens, depression, boyfriend, turtle poo. For not pretending to be perfect while still being ‘an oasis of calm’.

Zooms – for living creatively, for colouring-up a space that does make me feel peaceful.


When you receive this award, you get to:
1. Put the logo on your blog/post.
2. Nominate up to 9 blogs which allure, amuse, bewitch, impress or inspire you.
3. Be sure to link to your nominees within your post.
4. Let them know that they have been splashed by commenting on their blog.
5. Remember to link to the person from whom you received your Splash award.

19 comments:

Guyana-Gyal said...

ten!

PI said...

That is such a pretty award and I'm really sorry I've given them up. Reason is the last one - Scribblers Award I managed - with the greatest of difficulty - to get it on my side bar and LOST EVERYTHING ELSE (including my precious four camels). I'm honoured to be in such company but mine should go to someone less inept and more deserving. A mention from you is more than I could wish for.

Anonymous said...

I seh it and I seh it again...you's mek I want JUMP into life...art...books...rivers and canals...people's lives....SPLASH and swim 'round to see wah going on.
I LOVE this. I remember when I was little how you and Cousin Nan used to talk about this place. Sigh. Mus leh we go nuh? (Cousin Lis)

Guyana-Gyal said...

Lis...Lake Capoie? That place blow me away when I lay eyes on it...I never know we have such pretty place. Wha' you mean, let we go? You over there, the place is over here.

Pat, it goes to you for so many reasons...your energy, the careers you've had...and you did so well in each; the walks you go on, the way you see beauty in the places you visit...
Doing this is my way of acknowledging the joys of blogging.
I don't put them in the sidebar because I don't know how to.

cadiz12 said...

Aww, thank you so much for naming me, GG!!

Stolid charisma said...

Splash.. the sound of someone throwing acid on someone else.

Jokin but no.. serious, that is the sound it makes. Nice post..

Guyana-Gyal said...

Stolid! You did that?!? Tell me no, please. Where is Bakannal, by the way? Some time back I give the boy award and he delete archives, is wha' wrong with he?

Cadiz, you're very, very welcome.

And to Anonymouse who left the filth comment earlier...I do, of course, know where you're commenting from.
Thank you, StatCounter.

Will said...

i'm stunned... i didn't even prepare a speech or anything!

it's great to hear sweet words from a wordsmith such as yourself... :-)

zooms said...

GG, Thank you SO much, for the SPLASH of a story and for including me in such good company. I SPLASH you back and I really enjoyed visiting all those others who got SPLASHED too, Will had me in hysterics.....

Keith said...

Now I'm REALLY upset! I dinna even get a mention!

I was even very brave and ate some of that VERY HOT sauce you sent us. It took the skin off the roof of my mouth, but I was very brave and didn't cry, and you never even gave me an award for that!

(sob) I'm going up the garden to eat worms and stamp on every little beetle I can find! So there!

As for the box of chocolates I was going to send you for your birthday, I've decided to give them the Di at the pub instead.

Na-na-nee-na-nah!

Guyana-Gyal said...

Keith, wot ya mean, you're upset, I was going to add you this morning, you and this Aussie fella, Lee, but our phone was disconnected by the [add cuss word here] tel. co, who said we owed, even though we didn't receive a bill. So I couldn't add any more bloggers...as I still 'do' internet with some dial-up ISP they dug up the last century.
If you don't believe me, here is the list on a piece of paper, right beside me on the bed...so nya nya-nya-nya-nya.
And now I have to get off the phone as I'm expecting a Very Important Phone Call.

You're welcome, Zooms...sometimes I go on your blog and just stare at the pics, and feel sooo peaceful.
Yes, isn't Will a hoot?

Will, you're the bestbestbestbestbestbest Caribbean treasure I've discovered, I'm 'saving' your blog for one Saturday afternoon.

kfm said...

HEY....I WANT AWARD TOOOOOO...SCHUUUPPSSS

john.g. said...

Thank-you sweetie! xx

Guyana-Gyal said...

You're welcome, John G.

KFM, you have me as your big sister, what more you want?

Mr Farty said...

"The Splash award is given to alluring, amusing, bewitching, impressive, and inspiring blogs."

Ah. That splains why you received it and I didn't ;-)

Well done, GG!

Sigh, now I've got even more blogs to go check out...

Hayden said...

you got criks there? we got criks in Michigan, too....

out here in California we got creeks, but not in the midwest.

Lyrically speaking said...

Such a great blog, I truly enjoyed this post...

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Aw shucks, thanks so much GG. Sorry I don't get over here as often as I should, but there are so many good blogs out there, they all deserve an award. Some however, like yours, we keep coming back to.

sablonneuse said...

As I haven't been looking at blogs recently - even my own -I've only just found your kind award G-G. Thank you so much.
Unfortunately, like Pat, I'm hopeless at putting anything on my sidebar so I probably wont be able to do it but I will nominate other bloggers and refer them to your blog to pick up the pretty picture.