Thursday, November 01, 2007

A full-fat sweet thing.

“That thing sound so wutliss,” I laugh.

Now, lemme tell you, wutliss can mean all sortsa things. It can mean rude, worthless, wicked, vulgar…or it can have other meanings depending on the who what when where why and even how. In this context it was in relation to a recipe for a dessert.

Exotic Gyal, all cool and trendy in we humid-hot, Monday-midday living room, look at me for half a second, assessing what I just say. Then the sassiness and knowingness that does lurk always at the back of she eyes spring forth and full-up she gaze. She bust out laughing in recognition of the truth.

The dessert got a name that connote ruckshan-ness…that is, bad-girl-ness. Earthiness and sensuality. Full o’ phat-ness. Vulgarness too. Exotic Gyal say she used to buy this dessert in a market on the outskirts of Georgetown (I think that is where she did say). She jot down the recipe and I take the li’l ole note pad from she. She write neat and round:

“FAT TOP”

1 cup yellow cornmeal
2 cups coconut milk
1 cup whole milk
2 eggs
½ cup sugar
¼ raisins
1 tsp. vanilla essence
Pinch of grated nutmeg

Mix all ingredients together.
Pour into greased square baking pan.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until top is soft to touch.

Cut into squares, serve hot or cold.

N.B. Top is jelly like.

Bottom is solid.


Go on, give in, try some Fat Top this holiday.

21 comments:

Olivia said...

Yes! woohooo! You're gonna eat Fat Top! I haven't had it in years and years.....

Oh, by the way, I tagged you round mine, so whenever you get a moment.

Olivia said...

PS I love the sound fat top makes when you bite into it. It really is wutliss.

granny p said...

Problem is: mightn't end result be fat bottom? xx

Ariel said...

Ooh this is one wicked recipe that might result in fat sides as well as fat bottom... but what the hell, food is life!

Guyana-Gyal said...

Hello again Ariel :-) The secret is to eat a bit...and give the rest to friends.

Heh, GrannyP, remember what Queen sang...?

I've never had fat top before, Olivia, didn't know it existed until you mentioned it! When I told my sis there's a dessert here with that name she cracked up. Re the tag, I'm thinking, thinking, don't know what age...

ML said...

It might sound wutliss, but I bet it's a tasty concoction (minus the raisins)

Cream said...

Sounds good. Espesh the coconut milk and vanilla. I'm off desserts at the mo. Just cheese and French bread.

Jdid said...

as somebody dat know bout wutlissness dat really soun wutliss fa true :-)

cadiz12 said...

something about Fat Top reminds me of "muffin top," when people's jeans can't contain all of their bellies, and they hang out over the sides. but some desserts are definitely worth it!

Stunner said...

That is a new one! But they should call it Soft Top or Fat Bottom.

Welcome back...although mi late!

Guyana-Gyal said...

Welcome back too, Stunner...I been waiting to hear what you West Indian boys have to say :-D Aiye, remember that egg nog?

My secret Cadiz is to limit myself to a small portion at a time, and I'm always up and about doing stuff so it never gets to stay 'on' me.

Heh-hayyy, Jdid!!

Cream, I heard that's all the Swiss eat...cheese and bread :-(

Add something else, ML, some other fruit.

%:43 am. Me hunnnngryyyy.

Anonymous said...

GG
All the fat from the coconut milk goes to the top. The most decadent thing you can do is take a spoon and eat the top off first savoring each gooey bite...then get a cup of tea and enjoy the bottom:))

I will make this instead of pumpkin pie this Thanksgiving.
Exotic Gyal

Olivia said...

I am with ML, I never heard of it with raisins and would leave them out myself.

My mother is surprised you've never heard of it. Maybe it's not a Georgetown thing...?

Exotic Gyal - ok, you are wutliss!

Hayden said...

ooooh, must try this! thanks!

Leigh Russell said...

Makes me hungry! Love the stories too. You're welcome to visit my blog any time. It's always good to hear from fellow writers.

sablonneuse said...

Don't know if it will take your mind off all that delicious food but I've tagged you. (Sorry)

PI said...

Me - I'm drooling. I have a terrible sweet tooth and love anything with cocoa nut milk in it. And I'm sure it must be good for you.

Stephen Bess said...

Sounds delicious with some hot cocoa. :) More calories please.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Hello Leigh, my mother is a great fan of crime fiction...I must introduce her to your books!

Surisra said...

Hello,
Nice site!
Yesterday I was in Georgetown,
for the first time.I am looking forward to visit Guyana again.
Will try the "Fat Top"

Olivia said...

Oh my God, Gyal! I was looking for a fat top recipe and guess where I find it? Here! You wouldn't believe how often I remember you and my old blogging days.