Sunday, June 17, 2007

Friday night hell

I lie on me bed like the man from me childhood village who did die with he eyes open. Stiff. Staring. I ain’t know what that dead man see but I see hell.

Hell. Ning-ning, some people does call it. I see ning-ning two times on Friday night. The first time was more like a recognition that hell exist. And the second time...well...lemme start from the start...

On Friday night I put one glue trap on the kitchen floor, near the stove. In the middle of the glue trap I set a li’l piece of papaw. Trembling with trepidation, intimidation and all other fearfulations, I loll on the settee in the living room, watch tee vee and wait. My mother gone to bed.

I wait some more, I expect to hear squall and struggle soon in the kitchen. If that happen, then like a trueborn coward I would wake my mother to get rid of the thing.

Not a squeak, not a squawk I hear. I nod off. A shout on the tee vee wake me. Time to go to bed anyway.

Tiptoe into dining room. Peep into kitchen. Immediately, horror scream through me mind like the sound from Psycho when the man did stab the lady through the shower curtain.

The glue trap been three feet away from the original position. The li’l piece of papaw gone missing from the middle.

Ning-ning. Hell. If I did want to deny it, I couldn’t, not now. This was evidence, absolute proof that the thing is in we home, what else coulda move the glue board and go with the papaw?

Ayiyeee kakamole, mama mia kakalamba. I flee in disarray to me bed. I lie staring. And if what I see then wasn’t hell, I ain’t know what it was.

The thing appear in me mind as if it been right there up on the white ceiling...it got four legs, two beady malicious black eyes, fur, a long black tail stiff like a whip. As I stare, it grow bigger, bigger. It look like that creature in The Nutcracker Suite - the movie, not the ballet, I never see a real live ballet. I ain’t even want to contemplate what part of the house the thing is hiding. Slow, careful, I get up and hang me mosquito net, tuck in the hem tight tight under me mattress. Whoever did say hell is a place of we own making, meaning, we imagine it, they ain't know squat. Hell look like a rat.

I wake on Saturday morning with suitcases under me eyes. I think I going crackers.

18 comments:

sablonneuse said...

We have a spare room over here. Even the Bear and the Whale wouldn't be as bad as your unseen intruder!
Hope you catch it soon.

Robin said...

OOH nasty buggers! I had one use my pond as a fast food restaurant once, ate four of my fish before I noticed, the lady friend I had at the time was an animal rights type, (you know, cut me throat if I so much as step on a snail type)her friend lent us a 'humane' trap, a cage with a spung door. we baited it with the remains of our chinese spare ribs (the cats went nuts for it so figured it would do nicely and it did). He was there the next morning not very happy, spiting and cussing at us, it had been raining all night and I think he'd been there for most of it, he looked like a.... well.. a drowned rat really. I was told (in no uncertain terms) I had to let it go by the river by my animal rights warrior and she even came with me lest I let it have an underwater swim for half an hour or so before opening the cage (too bloody right I would have, the bugger ate my sterlet!)
anyway, you want a trap like this so you can dispose of it (in whatever fashion you chose) so it won't rot under your floor boards.

Guyana-Gyal said...

...ooops, I think I got the name of the movie wrong, I'll check it out ...told you I was going crackers...I'll be back to chat with you, Sablonneuse and Robin...

DCveR said...

Brodifacoum baits! That's me answer!
Hope you catch the little devil soon!

gela said...

God I hate rats. Kill them! Kill them!

cadiz12 said...

those glue traps can make you crazy. we once had one behind my old office, and i still have nightmares of seeing a stuck critter flopping around, squealing, trying to get away.

:(

Mel said...

Pack dem suitcases from unda dem eyes and go stay with aunty. Get one of dem boys to come ketch the damn thing. ooooooh sounds so creepy! Good luck!

zoe said...

i've never even seen a wild rat apart from on tv and they don't look too nice to me. get the heavies in to kill it!

AndrewM said...

You need this guy...

http://f4bscale.worldonline.co.uk/pest.htm

Caroline said...

One place I lived was infested with mice - we used humane traps to catch them and then took them far, far away to discourage their return... it worked... eventually... lots of them! Argh!

Jim wasn't happy as they ate his juggling balls! (they were filled with some sort of grain).

ML said...

Unbelieveable! We caught a rat in our front yard just this weekend! I wrote about it on my blog. It was disgusting!

To have it in my house, though, that would really freak me out. I feel fah you, GG.

J at www.jellyjules.com said...

ACK! Way too gross. I hope it's just a little mouse, not a big hairy rat, and that by now, Monday, it's dead dead dead whatever the heck it is.

J at www.jellyjules.com said...

Oh, forgot to tell you...can you get peanut butter or something equally sticky? That's what my MIL (from Guyana) puts in the traps. The mice/rats have to stick around to eat it, and the trap catches them then.

strudel said...

- How do you kill a cockroach ? you are the expert
Gail -: Stamp yr foot on him., u gotta run faster than him though
- Or else ? no alternative ?
Gail: thinking

Guyana-Gyal said...

Hello Strudel and J at jellyrules, welcome to Guyana :-)

The thing is spooking me out. It is playing tricks on us, doing all sorts of disappearing acts.

I am a mere shadow of myself now.

'Brodifacoum' sounds nice and mean, I might try our local version.

Sorry Caroline, all my humane feelings have gone through the window.

I am tormented.

Louis-Fran├žois Pilard said...

Lizards and frogs also happen to come into me home. Butterflies and dragonflies too. Not so much since I put a mosquito net around my window. We don't own our our homes. Nature does in the end. A French poet wrote something like: "When the captain's missing the rats govern."

Guyana-Gyal said...

Lizards and frogs [the tiny little grey ones] are fine, I think, Louis. Butterflies and dragonflies and lovely...not when they drop dead in the house though.

By the way, someone said Cayenne is 'quite developed', is it true?

PI said...

Now you've got me scared. Thanks a bunch GG:)