Monday, November 13, 2006

Jean Labadee

“You know who can proper tell a good story?” I say to my brother. “Cha-cha Deen.” Cha-cha Deen is we father youngest brother. “Shees, he can talk just like Jean Labadee.”

Jean Labadee was a thin, gallivanting, story-telling Frenchman who dwell in a book we had as chil’ren. Was a thick, red hardcover book, Friends and Neighbours...or maybe was More Friends and Neighbours. When Jean Labadee tell a story, the audience hear the sounds, smell the smells, see the sights. No, you ain’t just imagine them, you actually see, hear, smell, feel...as if is real.

Brother snicker. “When cha-cha Deen tell you something, you don’t know what to believe. One time, he want to tell we that where they used to grow rice had plenty, plenty snake. But he ain’t say that. Instead, he say when they plough the field, all you could see behind the tractor and the plough...”

”Yes,” I holler. “Snakes flying up in the air...”

“The plough digging them up, cutting them up, and the air thick, thick with snake and the field full up with snake blood...”

17 comments:

Caroline said...

Sounds like a variation on one of the Greek myths...

Ale said...

that's great! so if i use the same formula i can say: when i commute to work in a crowd of people everywhere I go, I leave a trail of red sea and befor me that sea better part or turn red..

uhhh scary... morbid...

beenzzz said...

You Cha cha Deen realy know how fah tell a story GG. That would a scared the ship right outta me. :)

Cream said...

Gory!!!
Nice bedtime stories, eh, Gigi

Quick said...

Nothing like a little truth enhancement to give a story colour.

sandy said...

Oh I love those storytellers who can transport you anywhere, and make your senses dance so that you live the story, even have you chopping snakes. lol

Kat said...

I would like to read a Jean story, if he kept you enthralled, I'd be breathless. Snake story...ewww I just hate those slimy, crawly critters!

cadiz12 said...

hmm, so snake blood is the special ingredient in the best rice?

PI said...

'snakes flying up in the air...'
What a picture!

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Yay for embellishment!

Jdid said...

is what kinda childrens stories dem is with snakes getting cut up and snake blood?

Guyana-Gyal said...

Them was good stories, Jdid :-D

Nothing beats a good embellishment, Zin.

It made me think of the Saw movies, Pat. I didn't see them, only heard about them.

Cadiz, it's good fertilizer...no chemicals.

Kat, you mean to tell me, you've never seen a beautiful snake?

Truth is Sandy, we don't believe him for one minute!!

LOL Quick, 'truth enhancement'...he coulda been Stephen King, eh?

Cream, I get the feeling you had similar tales back in Algeria...?

Worse than Snakes on a plane, Beenzzz?

Take a snake on the train, Ale...see how the people will clear the way faaassst.

Caro, must be Medusa, oooh, now that was a vivid tale.

Dr. D. said...

As one who has a snake phobia, that storytellin too bloody vivid fe me GG!

Stephen Bess said...

I do love the art of storytelling and GG you do it well.

gishungwa said...

Took be back to when we were kids and my mother would tell stories and i would cry like a babe when the stories were sad. oyu have a way with words i see you sitting on the porch ctching up on old times.

ML said...

What a vivid description! I would probably have nightmares from it because of my overactive imagination.

Hayden said...

ahhh, perfect! Say "a lot of snakes" and it means nothing - but plowing through them, now I see it! both gift and craft... I love hearing good stories!