Saturday, November 11, 2006

Cinema drama

“Aiye, guess what,” I say.

“What?” my visiting brother ask.

“I haul mummy off to the cinema the Sunday before you arrive…we went to see Guiana 1838.”


“Reaaally? Them cinemas still working?”

“One or two now, I think. We been to Strand. Remember? They used to say Strand, the cinema in command.”

“Cockroach and rat ain’t run over y’all foot?”


“Nah boy. It old but it clean…they clean up.”

Had a time, we growing up time, this small city had quite a few cinemas, bulwarks of wood and concrete, three floors tall, balcony, house and pit. Ceiling fans and shutters keep we cool no matter how the heat simmering outside.

In those years of banned goods and scarce items, Wang Yu, Bruce Lee and vampires used to grab the audience by they eyeballs, hold them for a couple of hours, make them forget the lean times. In them heydays, the cinemas – Globe, Astor, Plaza, Strand, Metropole – ain’t had no rat, no roach. Metropole used to declare, “Metropole, the cinema in full control.”

“You hear what happen to Jim one afternoon at the cinema?” my brother snicker.

Oh no! Not that again. Cringe and laugh battle in me. Laugh win.

Jim was one o’ my brothers’ friends, they had about a thousand o’ them, teens to very early twenties, a united nation of races, colours, height and madness. Jim was the black belt karate guy with Asian eyes and Bob Marley cheekbones. Jim always had bad luck. No matter how hard he try, things always go bad for he. It get to a point that when one o’ them boys tell a sob story, them others say he “Doing a Jim”.

One afternoon after a show them boys pile out from the cinema, yelling, “Sight this…number twenty five.” Check this out, number twenty five. “Sight this…number fifty…” And so on and so forth, high numbers, low numbers, rating the strength, sound and aroma of gas released from derriere.

Jim get overly ambitious. He holler, “Sight this…one hundred.”


As the story go, it was too much of a strain for Jim; a distinct brown stain he pants; he had to dash home to change.

Talk about losing control.

The years fly; the country get run down, slow down more and more; people flee to live in other countries; li’l jumping, biting things and roaches move in to them cinemas; them cinemas struggle to convince we to patronise them; Metropole change they slogan to “Metropole, still in control.”

“I think Metropole burn down not so long ago,” I tell my brother.

Jim never did leave the country; hard times clunk he over and over.

The other day, as we strolling around town, my brother bump into El Solo, a fella he know. El Solo say that Jim finally get a break and he doing really well, running he own business.

29 comments:

PI said...

Yay! Let's hear it for Jimbo!
(Cheers - not the other!)

kfm said...

sigh...me duz miss dem bais...all dem wid dem bazzady storee

Hayden said...

it's always great to hear good news about an old friend...

Anonymous said...

"sight this...one hundred." lol. thinking about cinemas always makes me feel good. Still to see Guiana 1838. How was it?

kai.

kai said...

'member walkin down de road kickin to fury if yuh jus come out a chinee pitchuh?

Cream said...

I bet it's been great having Bro back home for a while!
Gigi, you and your mother must have spoilt him with great dishes!!

Kat said...

Wasn't it sad to see all those old theaters molding and crumbling away? Just too expensive to maintain on top of the cost of the movies and the introduction of home video. We have some here, once beautiful, architecturally intricate, velvet filled magic just deteriorating to nothing.

Daphne Wayne-Bough said...

Good old Jim, anyone with Bob Marley cheekbones deserves a break. So that was the numbered farts story ... lends a whole new meaning to "hitting a century".

beenzzz said...

GG,Is Guiana 1838 a good movie? I would really love to see it but I don't know if its in distribution in the states. I remember the Strand. We used to go there to see movies..........Metropole too.

Robin said...

Oh dear! tea all over my monitor and keyboard again

Guyana-Gyal said...

Robin, I can rely on you always :-D

Okay Beenz, just check the link on this post, it will lead you to the movie's website, and you can check out dates there. Yes, it's quite good.

Daphne, that makes me think, sometimes it's just not worth it, being too ambitious.

I don't know, Kat, I think it was the little biting things and roaches that chased away viewers from cinemas here. I guess the smaller cinemas are better now. Ours didn't have all those works of beauty though.

Cream, his mother is spoiling him. You won't believe what he asked for...tripe or something made with cow's intestines. Curried.

I never went to see them kicking movies, Kai, give me a good chick flick, yay. Guiana 1838 was quite thought provoking. Worth checking out. Man, I love going to the cinema, I wish they would revamp them,sell popcorn and so on...except here it would be alloo ball, haha.

Heh, what can I say, Hayden.

KFM, you don't know the half of what they did get up to.

Yes Pat, after all that bad luck :-)

Modern Viking said...

Reminds me of my brother Jim... The stinker...

granny p said...

Best cinemas always were fleapits. Bring Metropoles back.If not rear-wise competing boys.. Now they're all carpets and popcorn. (And occasionally smell the same.)

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Boys, eh?

(I'd rather have alloo ball than popcorn any day)

Caroline said...

Poor Jim.

I've become convinced recently that luck is a real thing and its not so easy for some people "to make their own" as it is for others.

I'm glad that Jim has finally had some good luck and I wish him lots more!

Kingston Girl said...

I love old cinemas - but so many of them have been either turned into churches or subdivided into lot of small ones which loses all the glamour.

Olivia said...

Cool, is it a movie about Guyana, made by Guyanese? What about?

Heck, I knew boys farted, but I didn't know they did that much. Did you ever see the fart scene at the dining table in the movie "The Nutty Professor"?

Anonymous said...

GG,
Spent a lot of my youth in those cinemas,
used to skip classes from Central-latin especially- remember Channa Man? He was my best friend's father, used to get a lot of free channa, the boiled ones with plenty peppa.

Steiner62 said...

Hiya Gyal, I see you still a big Internet Star :-)
Whatever about the movie you went to see - when we gonna see YOU up on dat silver screen, eh?

;-)

Take Care now...

Steiner

Guyana-Gyal said...

Hello again, Steiner. No no, not me big internet star, I am small fry.

Anonymous, I'm wondering if you're one of my brothers' friends, hahaha...they attended Central. Channa man? I know about Aloo man.

Ohhh brother, Olivia, boys? They are worse than you can imagine, haha. The movie is a docu-drama, it was gooood...oh, let me give you the link: http://www.guiana1838.com

I remember Carib Theatre, Kingston Girl. Is that open roof one still there? In Half Way Tree?

Caro, those boys were utterly, completely mad. I think Jim's success was all about persistence. I think luck is about not giving up, well, I hope that's what it is.

Yes Zin. Boys. Mad, crazy and I don't know how they managed to be such good citizens HAHAHA...I hope they're reading this tee hee

GrannyP, the character of everything is being sterilised now, eh?

Viking, your brother's name is Jim? Show his this post :-D

Lucien Modo said...

http://a-dysfunctional.blogspot.com/

Caroline said...

I used to think luck was about persistence but not any more... I've found one way of measuring it using one of the UK Government's saving schemes where instead of interest one wins based on the random drawing of one's premium bonds each month.

We've had these bonds for several years now. Most years they have not been at all good value. Then last year I won £350 during the one month I was offering tarot readings on ebay! This clued me in and I realised there was more going on than just randomness...

Apart from that one win Jim (my husband not the Jim in your posting!) had been consistenly winning more than me, averaging £50 every other month. Before he cashed them in I made him an essence (based on an old Cornish superstition that Molucca Beans were lucky) - he started taking it and that month he had his biggest win on the Premium Bonds (£250). And since then has been winning £100 most months.

I was struggling to find anything that would improve my luck but I've been doing a lot of energy work for it (and asking people to wish me luck!) last month I got £100 and this month I won £600 on them, so I think I've got something right.

I'm not currently getting energy permission to work on other people but I'll wish you (and your brother) luck anyway!

BTW I'm not doing the work on luck to win money, I'm just using that as a measure. I'm doing it because its what I've tested I need to improve to improve my health.

GC (God's Child) said...

looks like we are going to need a full-on review of Guiana 1838. I dont' know if it'll ever hit New York. But I'll find a way somehow. Maybe the library will buy it eventually.

apprentice said...

Sounds like you and your brother are having a wonderful time. No-one can ever know you like a sibling, all those shared times.
Enjoy!

Guyana-Gyal said...

Apprentice, strangely enough, my brothers don't know me as well as my sister does.

That movie showed in the US, God's Child, I thought of writing about it but just can't find the time. It's going to Europe soon.

Caro, you're saying then that we can improve our luck, make things happen. I'm going to work on making good things happen for me, I will use prayers and positive energy. And I'm going to send some positive vibes, hope they will help you heal.

sandy said...

lol Glad Jim made it in the end. GG
Sounds like you and your brother are having some good times reminicing. How quickly the years slip away when we remember. Have fun GG

Caroline said...

Thanks very much GG - I'm sure they will help!

gishungwa said...

i sight Jimmy running home LOL, happy ending love the story

ML said...

I remember those days at the big cinema. It was such a big deal to go to the movies!