Thursday, October 12, 2006

More Arjun

Pick a truth, any truth. A unsavoury truth, or one that loaded with irony. Pick a ugly one, a prickly one; a truth that smell like a rat. Or pick a truth that so delicious, when you sink you teeth into it, you tingle from skin to within.

Just pick a truth.

Now go to the window with you truth, hold it up to the light, turn it around, examine it. How many truths you see?

Arjun the drunk, the addict, got more truths to he story than anybody I ever hear about.

Uncle J. did say he’s not a bad fella.
But Auntie M.did bitter about he selfishness; she had some compassion for he plight but she dish out some cynical truth too.

And now look, not too long after that my mother tell me, “Carpenter-man say he know Arjun family. He say the stepfather is a good man. He is the one who does take care of all o’ them.”

”Noooo man, that stepfather ain’t good,” I protest. “Auntie M. know Arjun gran’mother, she friend that the bus knock down and kill. Arjun been to jail ‘cause the stepfather molest he sister and he beat up the stepfather. Carpenter-man don’t know the insides of every single thing. Molesting is not something people does talk about openly in this country, you think the family gon go around saying it happen?”

We settle down to dinner with the two different truths - Arjun get maligned, the stepfather get maligned; we eat we dinner and the topic change.

You think it done there?

Two or three weeks ago, on me way to Auntie M. I zip past Arjun on the roadside. He shoulders bend, he head low; he staring at the grass, the road, he trying to focus the way people who brain soak up too much rum does try to focus. He hair sproinging this way, that way, shining with grease. Need a shave, clean clothes.

“I see your friend,” I tell Auntie M. “He proper look pathetic.” I tell she what the carpenter man say.

”Hm, for all you know, it could be true. Arjun sister come to we shop and she praising up she stepfather. If you hear all them nice, nice things she does say about he...”

Something there never sound too right to me, but I ain’t no psychologist so I ain’t say nothing. Who knows what the real story is. Maybe the girl and she mother convince theyself of some other truth.

A truth can be such a strange thing, I been thinking yesterday. It can be whatever we want to believe it is.

Buss it open, dash aside all the seeds you find inside...then watch them grow into other...

...truths?

20 comments:

ML said...

Sounds like everybody has their own truth. That life is disturbing. Denial of molestation is common.

Banana said...

Truth is one's perspective.

zoe said...

many people are scared of the truth. that's when they start lying.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Once, in a bad relationship I wanted to hear the lie so I could keep pretending everything was all right.

DaveM said...

Only Arjun know the truth.....but will he tell it?

Essequibo said...

The story does never just done suh eh?

This post is too deep. I can't take it. But knowing first hand about molestation and the secret shawl within which it shrowds itself in Guyana...the post resonates deeply with me.

My truth:

I remember my time in my native country with nostalgia...and some bitterness.

only Arjun know why he head low...staring at grass.

cadiz12 said...

everything is in the eye of the beholder. no matter what it may be.

angelsarentfree said...

GG I could read your stories all day long...I love hearing your tales and your perspectives.

Geoffrey Philp said...

Truth is a pomegranite?

Olivia said...

When it comes to relationships, ignorance seems bliss, yes it does.

Kat Campbell said...

In a place where molestation is kept on the down low, doesn't that also make it a weapon one could use to discredit someone you didn't like? So many sides to a person, it's hard to find a truth that isn't as fragile as dandelion fluff.

Stunner said...

Sometimes you never know what goes on behind closed doors.

PI said...

Some people wouldn't recognise the truth if they fell over it. Word of mouth isn't always going to be the truth. You have to discover for yourself and then that is your truth.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Yeah, that's what a Brit. neighbour in Jamaica told me when he left his wife, Stunner, and people were blaming him.

Kat, a funny thing about Guyana...there's gossip, there are wicked people, but [generally speaking] most folks here don't go about seeking ways to discredit others.

Not anymore for me, Olivia, I like straight forwardness.

And pomegranate looks like the brain, Geoffrey :-)

Angels, since Wed. I've been thinking of letting you know, I've started walking again!!!

No wonder people quarrel, can't agree, Cadiz.

Essequibo, all night I've thought about what you said, I went to bed thinking, woke up thinking. How I wish we can make this world safe for children.

Davem, one day I'm going to get him talking...well, I'll try.

Guyana-Gyal said...

I guess sometimes the truth hurts, Pat, so we fool ourselves.

The Boy said...

There is truth, the sun will rise tomorrow, then there is what is in man's minds. The one can not change, the other is as maleable as the wind.

patita said...

Ha, we've been playing a game of this in my family. How many times can the same story be told, but to illustrate a different thing? How many versions of an incident can there be. It boggles the mind, really.

kfm said...

maybe its Arjun who bin molested an too shame to say so...

Mad Bull said...

Mind how you following up on Arjun so, you know. Next we'll be hearing that you and him getting hitched! ;-)

Guyana-Gyal said...

MB, the bwoy have his eye on me!!! Ohhhhhh the horror.