Monday, October 09, 2006

In a secret corner of the garden…

Many moons ago my cousin Sam come rushing to me, she shaking, she eyes bright.

“Look!!! Look!!!” She hold out a letter and a palm-size, fadey-green leaf, it press flat and dry.


She then boyfriend-almost fiancé-now husband who did studying Abroad send she a four-leaf clover in a letter.

Well, is not to say we believe in four-leaf clover and other hocus-pocus power to bring good luck, bad luck. We did just excited. Four-leaf clover exist for true. Wasn’t a lie.

I want one too!!!


Finally, not so long ago I find one in a country at the bottom o’ the globe. I nearly w…

Suffice to say I did plenty excited.

Is a teeny li’l four-leaf clover; them leaves small like me finger-nails but the way I carry on you would think was enormous. Y’know how them gyals who finally get engaged does carry on, and the diamond on they ring so li’l you got to squint you eye and turn you head to imagine that you see the diamond? That is me with this li’l clover.

Well my mother put me in my place now.

Last week Wednesday she been chookin’ around in the garden. She come upstairs holding something green she hand.


A humongous four-leaf clover.

“You lie,” I holler. You’re lying.

“What you mean I lying? Look it right here.”


I take it, press it in a book.

Next day, Thursday, she been chookin’ around in the garden. She come up holding something she hand.

A humongous four-leaf clover.

“You lie,” I holler. You’re lying.

“What you mean I lying? Look it right here.”


I take it, press it in the book.

On Saturday I looking down at she from we verandah. She chookin’ around in a small four-leaf clover patch.

She say, “Here, look another one.”


Sigh.

I take it, press it in the book.

Now I come to four conclusions.

Four-leaf clover ain’t rare.

Global-warming making things mutate.

We garden ain’t just wild, it mad.

The fourth conclusion is the most plausible one though. I come to it after a certain conversation.

I say to my mother, “You got to find a fourth four-leaf clover. One for each of your children.” Yes, even though we now got four four-leaf clovers in the house, one was because I find it. To show equality in motherly love I think my ma should find a fourth.

She say with complete confidence, not taking she eyes off the newspaper, “Don’t worry, I gon find another one.”

My fourth conclusion then is this: my mother got a four-leaf clover machine and she cranking them out in a secret corner in she garden.

26 comments:

Ordinary Janet said...

I agree with your fourth conclusion! I haven't found one in decades, and my yard is full of clover. Tell her she has to find one for every person who posts a comment in your blog today!

beenzzz said...

Hey GG, how come I can't find a four leaf clover? I've looked and looked. I think your mother got a four-leaf clover machine for true.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Or she's pasting the 4th leaf on, Beenzzz.

Janet, she says they're everywhere, we just have to look. I think she'll say anything to win, that's what.

Caroline said...

Your mother obviously has her eye attuned to the four-leafers. And that's the kind of eye that will spot dropped money before anyone else - that's lucky!

kai said...

GG - i passin by your garden.

Caroline - we got junkies here with eagle eyes, they walk around with their heads down all the time. they don't miss anything, from your side mirrors to shedded sequins.

Kat Campbell said...

Our park caretaker brings us 4-leaf clovers all the time, she says if you find one, you'll find a patch of them. I think she and your mother are in cahoots, because I've never found one.

Louis-François Pilard said...

Why don't you just do like Michael Schumacher and Lance Armstrong in their own fields and - go for a five-leaf clover?

Louis-François Pilard said...

Yet be careful: no GMO's (Genetically Modified Organisms) allowed! (Same as no enhancing drugs allowed in sports.

DCveR said...

There can be a fifth hypothesis: your garden reflects the good fortune and luck you deserve! ;)

DaveM said...

Found this for you GG

Four-leaf Clover Poem
Author: Ella Higginson

I know a place where the sun is like gold,
And the cherry blooms burst with snow,
And down underneath is the loveliest nook,
Where the four-leaf clovers grow.

One leaf is for HOPE, and one is for FAITH,
And one is for LOVE, you know,
And GOD put another in for LUCK --
If you search, you will find where they grow.

But you must have HOPE, and you must have FAITH,
You must LOVE and be strong -- and so --
If you work, if you wait, you will find the place
Where the four-leaf clovers grow.

cadiz12 said...

i think your ma's just lucky.

Olivia said...

Whahaha! When my Mum comes to see me this weekend I will get her to read your blog. No, I will read it to her in a Guyanese accent. She says I can do a better one than she does!

Guyana-Gyal said...

No Cadiz, no, it can't be that simple, I think she's tampering with them :-D

That's a lovely poem, Davem. I will share it with my mum, she'll appreciate it.

Aww Dcver, thank you. I feel lucky to see you again :-)

Louis-Francois Pilard! What are you telling me now!!! A FIVE leaf-clover?!? Are you teasing or is it true? Vraiment?

Kat ask her for me please if she ever found a 5-leaf clover.

Kai, all I found in our 'bleddy' garden was a snake :-( A little one...and it had the nerve to 'rail up' on me. Talk about 'eye pass.'

Caroline, I think I'm going to train her to spot money on the road.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Olivia, please tell me what she says. I hope she enjoys.

larry h. said...

Hello GG, good to see you up and in full force. I gather that your computer's been good to you. Four leaf clovers ... all that talk about clovers only makes me think about my future wife, Enya. :)

Anna said...

I'm impressed! Maybe there are little leprechauns in your garden :)

piu piu said...

awwww. maybe your mum is just lucky to have u gg...

x

Dr. D. said...

I have never seen one...post a picture nuh GG.

If nutten else, there may be plenty of good luck coming thru your home.

Stunner said...

I've never seen the real thing either.

Hmmm, I wonder if there be some likkle leprechauns and some gold in that garden too!

Speaking of flowers, check out my first post on my new photoblog at http://exoticfotos.blogspot.com/

PI said...

GG: Good luck with the quest. You know since I saw the Sargassa Sea I aam haunted with images of lush, beautiful, strange places and you and your mother are drifing round being wise and clever and mixing potions and the only sound is the swish of your dresses and the jungley beasts and birds.
Am I going mad?

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

I'm with dcver. And I hope that itty bitty four-leaf clover you found brings you a big strong clever literary agent. It's about time.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Zinnia! You're back! Welcome, welcome, oh goody :-) I hope you find a lit. agent too!

Oh Pat, I love your mad images of us...this morning I went for a walk and it ever so slightly sounds like what you say here. If you want a lush place to travel to it's Dominica, I've heard...I've never been there though.

I hope you have Portland photos, Stunner...ooooh, are you still on holiday, doing lotsa Jamaica pics.?

Man Dr. D, I and I still don't know how to do work the digi. camera with the net...Lawks, I need some luck.

Heh, I will tell her Piu. Kinda like rub it in, hahaha...

Anna, I used to look for fairies when I was a child. I swear I saw some.

Haha, Larry, do you think she'll lead you to a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow?

Olivia said...

Gyal - OK, I will tell you.

Pi - did you watch Wide Sargasso Sea last night?
Lush indeed, but tragic!

Mad Bull said...

I have found one before, when I was little. I don't hardly inspect the garden that closely nowadays... The sun is too hot! Is true de place so flat, man!

ML said...

GG - your mother is like mine...they have magical powers!

Sarah said...

beautiful.