Tuesday, January 31, 2006

the enemy

I got an enemy. I ain't know who the enemy is, but I dream 'bout a snake Saturday night.

Well!

Lemme tell you!

If you is Guyanese and you dream 'bout snake it mean you got a enemy, real or not!


Sunday morning bright and early I stumble out to the living room, announce to me mother, "I dream a snake."

I ain't know why I tell she this. I musta been looking for reassurance. Or I musta been trying to turn it into a joke. Deep down in me heart, y'see, I believe my dreams. Too many come true for me to ignore them. And anyway, like I always say, me is a Born Coward.

Right away me mother put down she newspapers. She face get tight tight, she eyes them full o' worries. She say, "You have an enemy!"

I sit down slow on the settee, half dramatic...half amuse. I want to giggle at this conversation...but still...

I say, "Yeh."

She say, "You ain't write anything that gon upset people?"


That is she worst fear. That I gon write things that upset people here, in Guyana.

I say, "Nah man." But I searching me mind, thinking, I ain't know...

"What you dream?" she ask.

"I dream that I been running in a yard with dark, tight-pack sand...trees on one side, a old house on the other side...and then I reach a place that had small, smooth rocks. In the midst of them rocks was a rope.

I hear a crick crack snapping sound...and the rope bruk in two...and the second half o' the rope turn into a snake, a two foot snake with a small, small face and thin, thin tail. Was a pale snake, sort o' light grey-brown, pale, pale with really light markings. The snake wriggle past me and disappear under the old house."

Me mother bright up. If you see the relief on she face! She say, "Oh, that sound like horsewhip snake. Is not a dangerous snake. Them boys in me school use to pick them up, swing them 'round 'til they get eye-turn and push them in they pocket to ker to school."

"For what?"

"To throw it on them girls."

I laugh and laugh.


And as I laugh I realise who the enemy was this bright Sunday morning.

The enemy was fear. Always stalking we, hiding in corners, ready to jump into we head, to plant all kind o' thoughts.

To get rid o' he, we had to laugh and pick he up and swing he 'round 'til he get dizzy, and fling he 'way.


After that, we Sunday turn into a wind chimes kinda day, light and clear and tinkling.

26 comments:

Caribbean Colors said...

I believe my dreams too. I think we get warnings in dreams.

Hayden said...

another perfect story. "a wind chimes kinda day." I'm ready for one of those.....

Ri said...

GG, that was excellent.

'ka said...

interesting... i heard different. long time ago, some people told me that if you get bitten by snake, that means you'll get married VERY SOON. somehow, to them, snake in the dream is a symbol of your soulmate.

it's weird.

Shyha said...

Very, very true.
New Model Army's text: "(...) fear is the only enemy that I still know (...)"

Scratchie said...

fears can really beat on yuh if yuh let them.

Chai Anyone? said...

i loved the metaphoric use of snake = enemy = fear. it is true. fear makes us do some crazy things.

Koon Hui said...

Indeed, Nice metaphor.

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

Oh I love this!

angel said...

NEW FRIEND...Found this blog by accident & I'm so glad! Beauutiful writing. I can't wait for more. Thanks for putting your voice out here.
Check out my blog when you can...
A

Guyana-Gyal said...

Thanks, Zin.

Hi koon hui, thanks and welcome.

True, true, Chai. Lots of things I've done 'cause of fear. And it's only later I realise why.

Lawks Scratchie, beat up ain't the word.

Shyha, coward me, I can never be in the army, just see me, dropping gun and runninnnnng lol.

Heh, 'Ka, when I was 18 I dreamt a snake bit me :-D

Thanks RI.

Those days happen so infrequently, even here Hayden, beautiful weather, everything absolutely perfect.

Y'know Caribbean, I had a feeling you'd be one of the gals with dreams like those. I think Caroline too.

Shyha said...

GG: i think it's a bit illegal but NMA's album 'Purity' is my personal best so I ripped one track (the one with quoted text) and here you are: 04. New Model Army - Purity.mp3 I'll delete this song soon. If anyone of you think it's too big copyright violation I'll delete this as soon as possible. Cheers!

DaveM said...

You have just reminded me of this but when I was younger people often said, "kill a snake kill an enemy"

Modern Viking said...

Hehehe... I never imagined a dizzy snake before...

Caroline said...

The fear of fear is one of the worst... so hard to overcome as there is nothing to face... except oneself... and one's snakes!


Very funny G-G! I like the way your mother exploded that dream fear for you.

Robin said...

excelent metaphor, could do with some snake swinging myself sometimes.

Aunty Marianne said...

We tell a story here in Brussels about a stick that might be a snake, to explain the precautionary principle we try to use in legislation for environment issues (if you think it's a snake, leave it alone until you're sure it's not a snake - nuclear energy, new chemicals, etc etc).

I think it's a dream about inspecting sticks properly before you pick them up.

Dr. D. said...

Bwoy GG, me nuh love snake, alive, dead or in dreams....far as me concerned any dream about snake is a nightmare! Call it a real fear of serpent fe me. Represent evil from Biblical days!

Good little write...

cream said...

Gigi, your mam has a quick answer for everything!
That's what parents are for! They unravel our dreams, protect us and make us laugh!

cadiz12 said...

isn't that the truth, g.g.

i had heard that a snake symbolized money. i don't know. my people are big into dreams, too.

andre said...

I got an enemy too - sends me weird emails at 3 am telling me I'm stupid

PI said...

Who was it said 'There's nothing to fear but fear itself.'
It sure is the truth. I wonder if your harmless snakes are like our 'slow worms'? They're good news for the garden. I want a 'wind chimes kinda day.' And I want it now!

kfm said...

ow me mama, last sunday nite i dream bout snakes, two bin unda de bed, dem look like snails, but wen i push it, it was two snake...dem head raise to bite me...i tek wan stick an chok dem out de house an den lil son come wid de sweet suggah voice tellin me that how it gat wan snake in me closet dat trying to bite he an i rush it de closet an jump on he head....but i aint know if he dead cause, big son wake me tellin me he huuuuungry

Robin said...

Oh dear! (going red) just realised my comment could be misconstrued, must be old age, I meant I could do with "swinging my FEARS around my head and shove them in my pocket" sometimes.

DCveR said...

Only the two-legged ones are really dangerous, the other ones you can avoid. ;)

Guyana-Gyal said...

Heh-heh, you remembered, Dcver lol

I know that's what you meant, Robin, haha, wish I could see you red in the face though :-D

KFM, you got the right attitude, fight them and beat them up hahaha...[it ain't me, right, I ain't your enemy, okay?]

You have so many good days, PI, judging from your blog, you lucky gal you.

Hi Andre, welcome. I wouldn't open emails from that person. But then again, curiosity is a terrible thing :-)

Money, Cadiz? Oooh, I like that one, did you hear that KFM, snake means money.

You sho right, Cream, she has a ready answer for everything. I like your definition of the role of parents.

True true thing, DrD, Jamaicans no like snake AT ALL. Even the likkle garden variety can be in danger from Jamaicans, hahaha

Hmmm, now you have me thinking, Marianne...I wonder what I need to examine carefully before...

Thanks Caro, I like that...facing the snakes...our fears.

Viking, believe me, I never heard of 'em before either, haha

Interesting how around the world, folks equate snakes with evil, eh Davem? Except Dcver. And Anoop, but he's not here.

Thanks Shyha. I tried to listen but I keep getting a message, this page is unavailable...it's my isp being slow again :-( I'll keep trying.