Thursday, July 21, 2005

Praises

When a woman in this country achieve something really good, I does want to do more than just praise.

I does want to pick up me praise and release it through me window, and let the praise fly, spread it wings and fly faaaar and wiiiiiide, so the whole world can see it, so the whole world can hear it.

So the whole world can feel it.

Yeah man, I does got to do this, 'cause for a woman to achieve something really good in this country, is obstacles she does got to scramble an' stretch an' crawl over; is prejudice she does got to push aside.

Ameena Gafoor is one o' them women I got to praise. She achieve something that no Guyanese woman ain't do. What no West Indian scholar ain't do. What no university in the Caribbean ain't do.

She produce The Arts Journal, and is the first kind ever, in the Caribbean. Last year, she do the first issue. This year she put out the second issue. Vol. 1, No. 2.

And she do this although she look after she home; help she husband run they business that have over 500 employees, and help to make decisions too, and Lawd knows what else.

Mm-hm, she put out this second issue this year although we had the bad flood in January, and during the bad flood she been up and down the east coast delivering food to flood victims; plus helping she family. And she home did flood too!

Then soon after that she been on the panel o' judges for the Guyana Prize for Literature.

She had to collect essays from lecturers all over the Caribbean, then proof-read the essays, wait for the corrected ones to get sent back to she...and on top o' all o' that, she had to find sponsors for the Journal...she sell the first issue, pay off the loans...and start all over again, with this second one.

Yeah, yeah, I got to praise she, 'cause lemme tell you, if is one thing we in Guyana stingy with is praise. No joke. We generous to a fault, except with praise.

Well, not me, 'cause some years ago a friend did ask me, "What is wrong with praising people, and making them feel good?" And that stick in me head.

So I telling the whole world. The journal is something Guyanese can be proud of. I reading it, and digging into Caribbean history, photos, essay about Amerindian musical instruments, the Masquerade Band, more...

Yeah, yeah, I proud an' I praising. Let me praise fly...fly far and wide, all over the world.

[Read more about the second issue here: http://www.stabroeknews.com/index.pl/article_local_news?id=24371421]

19 comments:

Icylyrics said...

Praise on My sista! Absolutely beautiful.

Modern Viking said...

Very cool. I'll have to check it out a little more this weekend. Wish I could hear some of that music...

DCveR said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
DCveR said...

I'll bookmark the links so I can read more carefully later.
Amazing effort. You are right to praise her.

piu piu said...

i'm passin the journal link onto my boyfriend. at work they are organising a 'blacksploitation' art season... which actually means a visual investigation into black diaspora as well as the 60s gun films. like i've told u before, my boyfriend is actually british-indian, and so that element of guyana interests him too. i told him you were indian descent guyana and he got all excited that guyana had indians too!

kungfu mama said...

Piu, thats so funny...Indians are all over the world...

hey gyal, tell A. Gafoor, me seh conga-rats....that lady is ooooone interesting person...

hey Viking, your hat reminds me of Kenny Chesney...good singer

Ale said...

thats awesome- and all the stuff to overcome and even a flooded home in the middle of everything-
that's energy and inspiration-

uuuuhh-- lots of stuff to google here :)

piu piu said...

yeh i dont know why he was so surprised as his dad is mauritian indian and mum malaysian...but i guess he never figured they got as far as south america and the caribbean!

Guyana-Gyal said...

Icy, I still can’t get over that Maya Angelou poem you posted, And still I rise.

Thank you, Viking, wish I could hear some of that Amerindian music too. Yeah, imagine, and I live right here. Shame eh?

Hope you enjoy, Dcver. It is a lot of stuff to read, so have a good weekend.

Piu, your boyfriend might be interested in the movie made last year, "Guiana 1838." Had an actor from India too. About immigrants from India to Guyana, British Guiana. Had Africans in it too. A Jamaican movie he might be interested in: The Harder They Fall, with Jimmy Cliff. Haha, that’s funny, how he was surprised about East Indians everywhere. Does he know they’re in Africa too?

You’re right, Ale, Ameena Gafoor is very inspiring, how she manages to pull off that journal despite…

Kungfu mama, is Kenny Chesney cute? Maybe Viking is blushing :-)

Guyana-Gyal said...

Argh, Piu, that J'can movie with Jimmy Cliff was The harder they come.

Hayden said...

Thanks for the link, GG - I'll spend some more time with the journal this weekend!

Modern Viking said...

Kungfu mama-- Maybe I should see if the hat makes me a good singer too... hehe

Hayden said...

so, GG - you said again (over at icy's) that this publication thing is important. Go to hotmail, set yourself up a faux email address with nothing real in it, and send me an email. Your privacy is maintained, and we can talk about maybe making it happen. Are you familiar with Amy Tan's Joy Luck Club? Its "just" a collection of short stories, woven around some common figures. I honestly do have some ideas about how you could shape your posts so that they would be publisher-ready.

Nope, I'm not an agent, not looking to make money off of you or have you sign documents. Just want to help you scheme and maybe make some introductions. I don't have family or kids, and sometimes its difficult to feel useful, or like there is much in my life that is worthwhile. it would make me feel less a leech on the universe if I could help.

I AM a damn good sales person, by the way, if I have a product I believe in. Looks like I will be in the top 10% of the consultative sales team at my Fortune 100 company this year, sent on holiday to the Carribean for our efforts next April. (At the moment I'm number 2, a hair behind #1, and lightyears ahead of #3.) That's at the half year mark. Things can change, but the universe will be hard pressed to make my luck so bad and that many others so good in the last 6 mo. that I finish out of the prize money.

I tell you this not to boast, but to let you know that I'm not utterly incapable of promoting something/someone I believe in. No, I'm not a used-car kinda' sales person. My nitch takes anywhere from 6 months - 3 years to close a deal, time that I spend working closely with a group of customers to help them through process improvements and such. You can't be a shyster and succeed in that kind of environment. If you share your fake ID with me, I will share my real one with you, and it does include the company name. Can you trust me that far?

foster_hayden@hotmail.com. Also posted on my blog.

Guyana-Gyal said...

Awww Hayden, I feel sooo bad, I should've emailed you...it's been at the back of my mind...aaagh...

I left a message over at your blog. I think you've been getting my esp messages!!!

Just been sewing so many bags that thoughts of publishing the blog have been parked at the back of my head.

Tell you what...tomorrow, Sunday I am going to email you!!!

piu piu said...

hey- thanks for movie recs. will check em!

cadiz12 said...

what a phenomenal woman. and deserving of your praise.

it's true. you can go to the ends of nearly any continent and you are almost guaranteed to find indians. gotta love them -- they make damn good food.

Ale said...

hyden's got a fun idea- you should totally!

...is Viking giving a concert?? hehe

Modern Viking said...

Ha! Nice try ;)

kungfu mama said...

Heeeeey..Kenny Chesney is wan gooood singer..me like country and western...keep up the hat tingy and maybe who knows you probably can belt out a tune someday...LOL...

Women, all over the world, deserve praise, but when they come from a 3rd world country and do something special...oooh man, the pride you feel for them, even if you dont know them.....its just a lovely feeling when they have a great accomplishment....Women Rock!!!!!